Wednesday, January 30, 2008

gateway drug?

I have been reading several articles about marijuana being a gateway drug. This means that by using marijuana you make yourself more likely to start using other more dangerous drugs. I don't entirely agree with this theory. Using marijuana does not in any ways mean that you will move on to other drugs. I think that nicotine and alcohol and even caffeine are the first steps to drug addictions, not marijuana. Marijuana has not been proven to be addictive, but these other legal drugs are. I think that the government for some reason has targeted marijuana as the drug that is giving our country most problems. I believe that it is considered a gateway drug because it is the most common illegal drug. Most people drank milk before they drank alcohol, so it must be milk that makes people drink alcohol. Of course that seems ridiculous, but that is how I feel like they treat marijuana. The government 1.2 billion dollar a year anti-drug budget to me is going to waste. Instead of focusing on marijuana, focus on drugs that are damaging and ruining peoples lives. I know more people messing up their lives hooked on prescription pills, than destroying their lives abusing weed. The anti-marijuana campaign statistically was recently show to be non-effective anyway. Statistics show that marijuana use has increased in our country. It just seems like a waste to me to target marijuana as the main cause of drug problems in this country when to me it is obviously not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that this is only true for a small percentage to people smoking weed. I personaly dont think that marijuana is a gate way drug. More people ruin their lives drinking that they do smoking weed.

Zeek said...

you know they do say that pot is a gateway drug. umm.. i dont know what to think about that in some ways i do but in others i dont. i think it just depends who you are around and what they got. i think that has to do with someone starting a new drug. is being around other drugs, and also what you as a person want to try.

KOE said...

The legalizing of marjuana could stop some people breaking the law like people who try to live on the cutting edge.It would have the same effect when US legalize alcohol.

Cap'n Fatback said...

dearthvader--

Great idea for a post, although I would suggest that you find a link or two to support your statement about how the "anti-marijuana campaign statistically was recently shown to be non-effective." This is a perfect example of how something you say would be so much more credible when supported with linked material.

Additionally, make sure to break the posts into smaller paragraphs. This should be on your mind in all your texts.

Great post! I certainly find the theory flawed myself.